The experienced team at Moorabbin Veterinary Hospital conduct a full range of general and advanced surgeries that can provide a dramatic improvement to your pet’s quality of life. As an experienced animal surgery hospital, we have a team of highly trained and experienced veterinarians and nurses on hand to give your pet the highest quality of care in the Bayside area.
Book an Appointment
To book your cat or dog’s surgery, call us or use the booking widget below to schedule in your appointment with Moorabbin Veterinary Hospital.
What should I do before my pet goes in for surgery?
The night before the surgery, it’s important that your pet is fasted from 8pm onwards. No food is allowed, but water overnight is fine. In the morning, take your pet for a walk to allow it to go to the toilet before coming into the hospital.
What should I do after the surgery?
While staying with us, we ensure pets are kept at a comfortable temperature to aid the healing process, decrease pain and the chance of infection, as well as speed anaesthetic recovery. Your pet will also be watched by one of our trained staff members, to ensure there are no hiccups along the way. Patients are fed a healthy meal after surgery and dogs are walked before they go home.
Once home, it’s extremely important to follow any instructions given. To promote a quick recovery from the anaesthetic, give your pet food and water after arriving home, as well as making sure they are kept warm and comfortable. Many pets need to be kept to a more limited range of activities during their recovery times, which is typically around 2 weeks depending on the surgery. Any collars must be worn at all times and medication (including pain relief) needs to be kept up until the end of its course.
If you’re worried at any point, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us on 03 9555 4808.
Soft Tissue Surgery
MVH’s highly trained veterinarian surgeon perform an extensive range of different soft tissue surgeries, as required by a number of different reasons: preventative, curative, diagnostic, palliative. As one of South-East Melbourne’s leading surgical veterinary hospitals, MVH performs the following surgeries:
- Desexing or neutering
- Caesarean section
- Lumpectomy (lump removal)
- Abscess surgery (cat bite, anal gland)
- Eye and eyelid surgery
- Ear surgery (lateral resection, aural haematoma)
- Oncology surgery (cancer tumour/lump/mass)
- Abdominal surgery (female desexing, gastropexy, intestinal obstructions, cancer removal, tissue biopsy, feeding tube placement, complicated male desexing)
- Hernia repair (diaphragmatic, inguinal, scrotal, umbilical)
- Biopsy (cancer, immune mediated disease)
- Bladder surgery (stone removal, cancer)
- Skin surgery (anal gland removal, complicated reconstruction after cancer removal, motor vehicle accidents, dog fights)
- Airway surgery (stenotic nares, elongated soft palate, laryngeal paralysis)
In addition to soft tissue surgery we perform orthopaedic surgery in order to correct any kind of bone defect, for palliative reasons, or for diagnostic purposes. Some of the most common orthopaedic procedures we perform include:
- Repairing fractures and broken bones
- Mending cruciates (ACL, torn anterior cruciate ligament)
- Repairing torn tendons
- Correcting congenital and developmental limb deformities
To book your pet’s surgery today, get in touch with the Moorabbin Veterinary Hospital by filling out our contact form or calling 03 9555 4808.